[av_section min_height=” min_height_px=’500px’ padding=’large’ shadow=’no-shadow’ bottom_border=’no-border-styling’ id=” color=’main_color’ custom_bg=” src=’http://test.kriesi.at/church/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/08/saint-pauls-cathedral-m.jpg’ attachment=’364′ attachment_size=’full’ attach=’fixed’ position=’center center’ repeat=’stretch’ video=” video_ratio=’16:9′ overlay_enable=’aviaTBoverlay_enable’ overlay_opacity=’0.2′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_pattern=” overlay_custom_pattern=” av_uid=’av-3f7x6u’]
[av_heading heading=’Prayer Requests’ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote modern-centered’ subheading_active=’subheading_below’ size=’50’ av-medium-font-size-title=” av-small-font-size-title=” av-mini-font-size-title=” subheading_size=’15’ av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” color=’custom-color-heading’ custom_font=’#ffffff’ margin=” margin_sync=’true’ padding=’0′ link=” link_target=” id=” custom_class=” av_uid=’av-k8f1cs7w’ admin_preview_bg=”]
Pray for our community and request prayer during the COVID-19 pandemic.
[av_hr class=’custom’ height=’50’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’20%’ custom_border_color=’rgba(255,255,255,0.76)’ custom_margin_top=’30px’ custom_margin_bottom=’30px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=’#ffffff’ icon=’ue8bf’ font=’entypo-fontello’ av_uid=’av-318uum’]
[av_section min_height=” min_height_px=’500px’ padding=’small’ shadow=’no-border-styling’ bottom_border=’no-border-styling’ id=” color=’main_color’ custom_bg=” src=” attachment=” attachment_size=” attach=’fixed’ position=’bottom center’ repeat=’stretch’ video=” video_ratio=’16:9′ overlay_opacity=’0.3′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_pattern=” overlay_custom_pattern=” av_uid=’av-2x1d5a’]
[av_two_third first min_height=’av-equal-height-column’ vertical_alignment=’av-align-top’ space=’no_margin’ custom_margin=’aviaTBcustom_margin’ margin=’-60px,0px’ padding=’30px’ padding_sync=’true’ border=” border_color=’#e1e1e1′ radius=’0px’ radius_sync=’true’ background_color=’#ffffff’ src=” attachment=” attachment_size=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ av_uid=’av-2p9rk6′]
[av_textblock size=’18’ av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” font_color=” color=” id=” custom_class=” av_uid=’av-2cv7xy’ admin_preview_bg=”]
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley
General Requests for Prayer during the COVID-19 Pandemic
last updated: 9/22/20, 2:10 pm
For our healthcare and research responders:
- Pray for medical workers, chaplains, and all others in essential service jobs – including those in food/grocery and deliveries, serving our communities at their own peril. Pray for medical workers and chaplains inside of our congregation who are bearing the weight of their work while holding space for the grief of many others, and for strength as this continues for an unknown length of time.
- Pray for doctors, scientists, and lab workers doing research to make a path for COVID-19 testing, treatment, and an effective vaccine.
- Pray for protection for the son of congregants, who is a nurse at a Manhattan clinic for homeless youth, several of whom are now in isolation there, as he travels there by subway to care for patients with the help of the only doctor on staff. UPDATE as of 5/6: So far, only 20 street kids who come to their clinic were infected and all are on the mend without hospitalization. He continues to protect himself with PPE at work and on the subway. Pray that this experience will bring him back to his earlier Christian faith.
- Pray for an ER nurse, a congregant’s daughter, who is treating COVID-19 patients, that she would remain healthy. Pray for protection for this nurse and her mother.
- Prayer for energy and stamina for four congregants performing essential office work at Alameda County Behavioral Health during this time.
- Pray for a psychotherapist whose clients are primarily health care workers taking care of Covid-19 patients, that God will give her wisdom and strength as she ministers to those on the front line in this pandemic. May God give her words that lead to a measure of hope and peace found in Christ. Pray that God will give her strength in handling her own stress due to an increased workload with stressed clients.
- Pray for safety for a paramedic in San Diego, the son of congregants, who has contact with COVID-19 patients.
- Pray for a congregant who is a hospital chaplain, for ongoing resilience in the face of working with people in intense grief, and that he could let go and not carry it himself. Pray for protection as he is feeling vulnerable as he also deals with staff who are working with COVID-19 patients, and for protection for his health and that of his family.
UPDATE 8/5: Pray for continued strength and protection as the number of patient in local hospitals with COVID has increased.
For our congregation as a whole, individuals and their families:
- Pray for our congregation that we will come out of this crisis stronger than when we went into it, experiencing God’s power in a new way, strengthening our bonds and deepening our love, that we may be generous in our love toward one another and the community around us.
- Pray for a congregant’s father who is on kidney dialysis and in very fragile health, and for his family deeply concerned for his health, especially if he is exposed to COVID-19.
- Pray for a congregant couple who have both lost their jobs in the past few weeks, that they would have their needs met, as they try to pay bills while looking for work during this very difficult time.
- Pray for peace for a congregant’s very anxious 88 year old father who has two younger generations in his household, as they shelter in place together, which has added to his stress and unease. Pray for her wisdom as they rely on her for counsel and advice.
- Pray for a family in the congregation with these concerns: The husband lost his job and is looking for employment, the wife needs to be working her job (put on hold seven weeks ago) as soon as possible. Both of their sons are dental school graduates each relocating, one to TX and the other to CA to do graduate work. Pray for provision and peace for all.
- A congregant who relocated to San Jose has asked for protective prayer for himself and all of the residents at the assisted living facility, Sunrise Villa, where he now lives.
- Pray for a congregant with hip pain, who had a planned surgical replacement for July, but due to her pain level, needs to have it done sooner. Pray for relief from pain and for protection as she goes into medical buildings and eventually the hospital.
- Pray for a congregant couple with these concerns: he is still working in San Francisco, although immunocompromised, so pray for protection for his health. She asks prayer for wisdom in her school leadership team as they plan to reopen, preparing for what’s next, and need prayer for communication challenges in her family.
- Pray for a congregant who, due to spinal cord surgery and radiation for cancer 10 years ago, has gradually been losing his ability to walk. He has just had surgery with hopes of correcting this. As he recovers in the hospital, and awaits more test results, pray for a good outcome and that he feels the love and support of his family and church. Pray for no infection as he continues to heal, still struggling with post-op pain and weakness, and concerns for his ability to return to work.
- Pray for peace and comfort for the family of a congregant whose brother has stage four cancer with the prospect of 6-12 months left to live.
- A congregant requests prayers for her brother with a broken collarbone who is undergoing surgery on September 15 to have it repaired, pray for a safe and successful procedure, God’s blessing on the medical professionals entrusted to his care, and his swift healing as he has three children.
- Pray for four folks from our congregation who have lost family members over the last several days, that God would comfort and strengthen them in their grief.
For our wider community:
- Pray for parents as they work from home, while schooling and caring for their children, and for protection over children and teachers as they return to some version of an in-person classroom.
- Pray for the most vulnerable in our communities who lack food and housing security, that their needs will be met.
- Pray for those in unhealthy or violent relationships (adults and children). With the additional stress placed on with the inability to get away from a threatening situation due to shelter in place orders, vulnerable people may be in increased danger.
- Pray for those who have had their work scaled back or lost it completely, that their families’ needs will be met as they pursue other options.
- Pray for small business owners as they navigate their options for a path forward.
- Pray for justice, peace, protection, and grace for all in our communities in these times of racial upheaval and despair, that we may listen well and that our eyes will be open to wise and meaningful ways to respond with radical love and courageous faith.
For the ministries of First Pres:
- Pray for the staff and leadership of First Pres to have strength, wisdom, creativity and imagination as they lead and minister in this ever changing situation, and in this unprecedented time to champion anti-racism, while caring for the First Pres flock, and their own families.
- Pray for young adults who are navigating financial straits and moving back in with their families due to the pandemic–that they may receive and extend support and grace.
- Pray for our Mission Partners, navigating virtual fundraising, while bearing the load of more people than ever needing care, that they would have enough resources to share.
- Pray for our upcoming Global Church Conference on October2-4 that hearts will continue to be changed as we seek to be a church that is anti-racist and pro-justice.
- Pray for our prayer teams, specifically that technology works seamlessly, as they uphold many in prayer.
[av_hr class=’custom’ height=’-30′ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’45%’ custom_border_color=” custom_margin_top=’30px’ custom_margin_bottom=’30px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=” icon=’ue8bf’ font=’entypo-fontello’ av_uid=’av-27mxe6′]
[/av_two_third][av_one_third min_height=’av-equal-height-column’ vertical_alignment=’av-align-top’ space=’no_margin’ custom_margin=’aviaTBcustom_margin’ margin=’-60px,0px’ padding=’30px’ padding_sync=’true’ border=” border_color=’#e1e1e1′ radius=’0px’ radius_sync=’true’ background_color=’#f0f0f0′ src=” attachment=” attachment_size=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ av_uid=’av-13q1rq’]
[av_textblock size=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” font_color=” color=” id=” custom_class=” av_uid=’av-ps18m’ admin_preview_bg=”]
For pastoral emergencies, please call (510) 848-6252 ext. 1.
Click here to submit a prayer or care request.
For more information, please email us at email@example.com.
JOIN OTHERS IN PRAYING